This page will give you some insight to who we are and our values and priorities as a church. We would love you to join us.
Our logo says a lot
This is because we believe the cross of Christ is at the heart of our identity, both as individuals, and as a church.
The name ‘Stephen’ means crown, so the logo uses the image of the crown to portray us as gathered around the cross of Christ.
The people within the crown, under the cross of Christ reflect the members of the church being under lordship of Jesus, and gathered within the fellowship of His church.
What we believe
God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, graciously loves us, and has adopted us as His children to be heirs in His kingdom. We want to reflect this grace and forgiveness to our community. We are dependent on God in prayer.
God the Son, Jesus Christ, died on the cross as our Saviour and physically rose from the dead. He ascended into heaven and He is Lord. We want to be Christ- centred and preoccupied with making Him known and seeing Him glorified within our local community and beyond.
God the Holy Spirit works in each individual, bringing them to new birth in Christ and to maturity as His disciple. We seek the work of God’s Spirit in each person and promote the Spirit’s fruit in our lives.
The Bible is the Word of God and we trust its authority, reliability and relevance in developing our relationship with God, and in living faithfully as disciples of Christ.
We are committed to spiritual nourishment through Word and Sacrament, and embrace our Anglican tradition, doctrine and structure. We affirm the historic faith of the Christian Church as stated in the Creeds, and reflected in the doctrine of the 39 articles of the Anglican Church, and in the Book of Common Prayer.
We are called by God to be faithful disciples of Christ; who are prayerfully dependent on God; who persevere with deep assurance of God’s grace to us expressed in Christ; who desire to worship Christ, know Him, and make Him known; who take God’s word into every aspect of our life; who are repentant sinners living godly lives and striving to become more like Christ; who play our part in the healthy functioning of the church; and who use our gifts to love and serve others. We are the body of Christ and we are committed to being a community of Christian believers, characterised by a gracious Christian spirit, welcoming to others, active in love and service, and nurturing of others.
We believe people reach spiritual maturity through God’s work in their life; through personal discipline and faithfulness in following Christ; through reading and submitting to God’s word; through prayer and worship; through encouragement; and through fellowship with others.
We believe the gospel of Christ is good news for people of every nation, race and language, and we want to radiate from Greythorn a visible, vibrant Christian presence that glorifies Jesus and draws people into a relationship with Him.
St Stephen’s exists to make Christ fully known amongst our members and the community of North Balwyn.
Our goal is to make each individual a mature disciple of Christ:
• who is open to God’s work in their life and is prayerfully dependent on God
• who perseveres with deep assurance of God’s grace to them, expressed in Christ
• whose passion is to know Christ, worship Christ, and make Christ known
• who is disciplined and faithful in following Christ, applying God’s word to every aspect of their life
• who is a repentant sinner living a godly life and striving to become more like Christ
• who displays evidence of the fruit of God’s spirit in their life
• who plays their part in the healthy functioning of the church
• who uses their gifts to love and serve Christ in the world
• who gives gracious testimony to our Lord
We are committed to ministry within our local community, although we also look beyond this local horizon to the national horizon with mission partnership with the Bush Church Aid Society, and to the international horizon with mission partnership with the Church Missionary Society.
Our ministry seeks to:
• bring people together as disciples of Christ
• spiritually nourish people from scripture
• inspire Christ-focused worship
• encourage prayer
• promote a rich devotional life
• enable meaningful small group participation
• provide gift-based opportunities to serve
• reach our community with the gospel of Christ through engaging outreach and attractive social activities
• promote genuine Christian community, with warm fellowship, gracious relationships and effective pastoral care
We expect our members to actively participate in church life by:
• habitually joining with others in public worship
• regularly praying for the members and ministry of St Stephen’s
• consistently encouraging each other as disciples of Jesus
• promoting the gospel of Christ in our community
• using their gifts and talents to serve
• financially supporting the ministry on a regular basis
Name tags indicate you are not simply visiting us, but have decided to become one of us. This is the point where St Stephen’s is no longer ‘them’ but ‘us’.
Deciding to join St Stephen’s is a big step. It is a step we hope you will make and which we believe you will enjoy. Please visit us a number of times and get to know us; read the pages on who we are and what we stand for; and enjoy a chat with our minister, Rod Morris. He will be happy to tell you about our ministry and answer any questions you may have.
There is a brochure in the church foyer that explains membership further. Completing the form in the brochure and returning it to our minister is the formal step that makes you a member.